If you have a question about running your canteen which isn't covered below, please contact us.
- Running a canteen (covering legal obligations and the operation of the canteen sub-committee) (pdf)
- P&C as an employer (pdf)
- Working with Vulnerable People (WWVP) check (pdf)
NEW! Professional stickers to jazz-up your healthy options.
- Available with three different messages ("Good Fuel Food", "Boost your Brainpower", "Good Fuel = Play Longer")
- Each message available in purple, green or black & white
- Available FREE from us to your canteen for a limited time!
NEW! Menu and specials board Banners to match stickers.
To complement your professional looking packaging:
- Banner for your specials board - word file to print to A3 paper. Choose "Boost your Brainpower" or "Good Fuel Food"
- Menu template - word file for you to make your own. Choose "Boost your Brainpower" or "Good Fuel Food"
Sample contract for canteen managers, with notes and explanations (word document which you can modify for your canteen). You can check pay rates for employees using the Fair Work Ombudsman's calculator. The relevant modern award for canteen employees is the Fast Foods Award 2010.
Benefit from shared expertise of other P&Cs through our Canteens Working Group, be inspired by what other canteens are doing:
- two primary school canteens improving their food and the way their canteen promotes it
- fun dining spaces to make high school canteens more attractive (help stop students bringing less healthy foods from home)
- a revolution for a non-financialy viable canteen
- how flexischools has streamlined one canteen
Other helpful organisations
Healthy Kids Association
The Healthy Kids Association provides extensive, authoritative support and advice for canteens. Council has paid the fees so that all P&C run canteens in the ACT are now members of this organisation. As members, P&Cs can access:
- phone assistance on school canteens (1300 724 850; Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm)
- one Business Advisory Service consultation – their CEO will travel to your school to review your canteen operations, pricing and financial records and give advice to improve your canteen (phone 1300 724 850 to arrange this)
- 4 recipe assessments each year, a calculator to determine if foods are Red or Amber, plus nutritional advice service
- online information on running a canteen, getting volunteers, resources such as sample contacts and duty statements, spreadsheets and pro-formas, posters for your canteen, recipes and a special area for ACT school canteens
- an informative magazine for members.
Read how one school used the Business Advisory Service to turn-around the financial position of their canteen.
Nutrition Australia's Nutrition Support Service
They also do full menu assessments to determine which of your menu items are ‘green’, ‘amber’ and ‘red’ foods. Council is funding reviews for P&C-run canteens.
Nutrition Australia also run training courses a couple of times a year, qualifying canteen managers as nationally recognised Food Safety Supervisors. In addition, they run menu planning workshops and an annual Canteens Expo with information on marketing your canteen and services available to help school canteens succeed as well as presenting Canteen Fresh Menu Awards for ACT's healthiest school menus.
YMCA of Canberra - 'Nutri-Ys'
Supported by an ACT Health Grant, the YMCA's Nutri-Ys food services are providing tasty 'Green' home-style frozen meals for you to sell in your canteen - that is home style canteen food without the cooking!
ACT Health are funding a number of projects to help canteens provide health foods while staying in business. Their Health Protection Service also have this useful Factsheet on food safety for schools.
ACT Education Directorate
FOCiS, an organisation looking after school canteens nationally, has fabulous range of information about running canteens - from menus to occupational health and safety. To access the fact sheets, click on the 'ACT login' at the bottom of the FOCiS website and use the username ACTSCA and password mycanteen.